One of the things my boys and I love to do is eat chips and salsa. Add to that the fall football season and we've got a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It just so happens that my wife loves salsa too, but not the football part so much. We've researched Texican restaurants our whole lives and never found the perfect salsa. Thankfully for me, Gena concocted her own genius recipe that is great for me, and my boys. It's got a kick, but it's not too spicy to enjoy. I'm gonna give you the secret to this game-day masterpiece. If your family likes salsa like mine, make sure you make a lot. This stuff will go quick!
- 1 large can (about 28 oz) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 medium jalapeños, or your favorite pepper
- olive oil
- 1 tsp dried garlic (can use fresh garlic)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 TBSP lime juice
Directions for roasting peppers:
- Turn oven on to 400°F.
- Rinse peppers in water and cut off the tops.
- Place peppers on a small baking sheet or oven safe dish.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the peppers.
- Place peppers in the oven and check every 5-10 minutes, but will probably take closer to 20, depending on the size of your peppers.
- After skin has browned and has a few charred spots, they're done.
- Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.
Directions for making salsa:
- Place roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, garlic, salt, onion powder, cumin, and lime juice in the blender or food processor.
- Depending on how you like it, you could blend it a lot or if you like it really chunky, just a little. We usually blend it for about 15-20 seconds.
- Pour in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil, and then let cool. The boiling helps the salsa to keep longer in the fridge without spoiling, but trust me, this will go so fast, you probably can skip this step.
- Serve up with your favorite chips or Mexican food and enjoy in front of the big game!
contains affiliate links
Latest posts by Ben (see all)
- What Do You Do With Cracked Eggs? Cook An Egg-Burrito (omelet). - April 25, 2017
- Ford Focus RS: When You Need A Family Car, But Want To Keep Your Man Card - March 30, 2017
- Need Help With A Science Fair Project? S.O.S. Your Science Fair Helper - January 25, 2017